My Creative process for MDU115.2

Pre-Production

There is little to say on the pre-production stage of this work, the majority of it has been completed for us and is part of the assignment brief.

The only modelling that was required by the brief was the construction of the treasure chest asset for the animation. Constructing this asset was completed following tutorials for the basics of 3D Modelling. I practised making several versions of the chest including an experimental one on which I attempted to model a more complicated form of which we were not taught how to create. Although alternate versions were created only the submitted model was suitable for the brief.

UV mapping the treasure chest was an arduous task, as I suspect that all subsequent UV mapping will be. The process is tedious but completing it well is essential to having quality textures for the model. There were a number of tricky and not always intuitive moments within this process such as ensuring that any mirrored parts of the model have their orientation adjusted accordingly (a task that is easily picked up on during the texturing phase for areas of the model who’s UV maps can be tricky to distinguish between top and bottom, left and right).

Texturing the model was mostly a simple process, the majority of which there were tutorials to follow. However complications arose when attempting to add additional detail to the model, without the use of a tablet and pen this process was significantly more trouble than it needed to be. I overcame this problem by manipulating the properties of the layers cosponsoring to the particular details in photoshop and adding modifiers to the layer. By creatively using drop shadows, bevelling and embossing and inner glows I was able to create the required highlights with a single line where the correct highlights and shadows were automatically added to the line simplifying the process to only needed to create one line with the mouse rather than multiple lines and layers with a pen and table. The drawback to this method however is that with the resolution and size of the image the desired quality was difficult to attain, I am overall happy with the work-around I have devised for this situation until I am able to get a tablet of my own.

There was no rigging required by students in this assessment piece, however basic use of the hierarchy of objects can be used simply to move entire groups of objects efficiently.

Animating the scene was the most extensive process within the assignment and also the freest. We were given mostly free reign on what we wished to incorporate in the animation. Basic guidelines were supplied and outlined in the brief leaving the majority of the details to our creative understanding. Keyframe animation is relatively simple in concept and thus the application of the process to the task was also relatively straightforward. I animated the various assets to enter the scene sequentially. The trees were made to grow after the board opened followed by having sea shells and starfish drop into the scene with a low bounce. The treasure chest drops dramatically to the board, the force of which encourages the other assets on set to bounce upwards from the force of the chest hitting the board. Small crabs are walking around on the board and waving their claws about. After a time the treasure chest opens raining gold out from the chest which falls to the surface of the board. The script for the raining gold was supplied and only required us to modify parameters such as start and end frames and quantity of coins produced. The most sophisticated phase of animating this scene was introducing cameras and animating them to move through the scene for the right prospective shot for rendering purposes.

Assembling the scene was a simple process as almost all assets just required importing and merging to our working file. Each asset was imported and subsequently cloned as required to populate the scene appropriately.

I chose to light the scene with a skylight and a few omni lights. I used the skylight to emulate sunlight and an omni light for back lighting and colour correction. Additionally I placed a small omni light inside the treasure chest to light the inside with a golden glow.

Rendering out the project is just applying all of the scenes properties to each frame and producing a high quality image for each. It can be a lengthy process however once completed it gives you an image for each frame that can then be sequenced and formatted into a video file.

Once I had attained all of my rendered images I compiled them in Premier, and used the program to input the text overlay and basic transition animation. I then used Premier to convert the sequences of images to a video, the final product.

James Day – 1002467

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s