Today I would like to talk about progress on the Aftermath Project I am working on, specifically changes that have been made based on feedback.
*Note for studio 2 facilitators – this is for ANM220.LO19*
Firstly lets take a look at the first pass of the finished product (Before Feedback)
As you can probably tell there is a fair bit that still needs work. We had a screening of our project to the rest of our studio 2 group and facilitators where all were able to throw in their feedback and we could take from that what we will.
The main points of feedback that our group received were that the camera needs work and our lighting was terrible. Other details that were raised were that the texture on the blimp was too low resolution, some of the assets (landscape) had too low resolution materials, the water shader could use a function to include foam on collision with other objects, there was too much fire and overall a lot of our materials were a little too shiny.
A lot of feedback to take on board. So here is a few screenshots of our work in progress updates based on that feedback.
I did some research and changed the setting to night time to give a softer and cooler feel to the light in the environment. To that effect I have added a few other lights to give some highlights to the environment. I took out some of the fire effects and moved some others around so that they would provide a warm light to the areas of interest in the environment. We fixed the gloss issue with the materials by changing some of the details within the roughness maps we were using so they were only using grey-scale information. I separated the blimp into 2 meshes so that I could double the resolution of the materials applied to them and also get more efficient use out the the UV space they occupied.
Getting the water shader to change based on contact with another object was a little more difficult than most of the aforementioned changes that were made. It took quite a lot of research and I found that the most efficient change I could make was actually to just apply a texture blend based on the depth of the water. It’s not quite a perfect fix but it does allow me to have the water foam in the shallows to make it a little more dynamic and realistic.
After all of this I sent these screenshots to one of my facilitators for some more feedback so I could further improve the scene and got the following.
So after this I changed the Level of Detail settings within the scene so that the higher resolution textures would show for longer. I did some research and Unreal Engine 4 has an auto exposure setting that automatically adjusts the brightness of the scene depending on the lighting and your proximity to lights. After turning off this feature I found that my scene was very dark which then lead me to have to adjust the brightness of the lights in my scene and add a few more to boot. I tried to work with an idea that one of our facilitators gave me which was “pools of light” to draw interest to areas, so I implemented some spotlights that didn’t cast shadows to just brighten up areas of the environment.
This is the result of the feedback process so far.
I think, overall, the scene is much more compositionally cohesive and stronger. Although darker, softer lights have been used to illuminate the scene so that the warmer, harsher lights draw more attention to the areas of interest and the scene feels more uniform than before the feedback was implemented.
Thank you for your time and as always,
Till next time,
James Day – 1002467