Studio 2 Development Blog 12

Welcome, welcome,

Today we are going to be deconstructing the processes undertaken and the results of the Aftermath project that I have recently completed.

First I will show you the finished result,

As an overall result, I have to say, I am pretty happy with the outcome. It has certainly come a long way since the last iteration. I think that in itself makes it a successful project, that we as a team were able to accept feedback and further develop our project because of it. But let’s look a bit deeper into the whole process and evaluate how it went.

*Note for studio 2 facilitators – the following pertains to ANM220.LO08, ANM220LO12*

An overall outline of the process we undertook to create this project and the assets used within it. During preproduction all members of the group decided on what setting the scene would take place in and what the “aftermath” would be from, we ended up with a steampunk setting and it was to be the aftermath of a pirate raid. Everyone was pretty happy with this so we moved on to concepting the environment and assets, developing concept art and critical documentation (asset lists, schedules and task allocation).

After this we started creating the assets in 3DS Max where they were modelled, unwrapped and had normal, ambient occlusion and colour ID maps baked out. From this point the models were exported as OBJ files and imported into Quixel suite 2 for texturing. As a team we made sure everyone used Quixel to texture their models as then we could ensure all of the assets had a similar level of detail and were all set up for PBR shaders.

With the models ready to go and the textures created we then imported the assets into Unreal Engine 4 where we assembled our scene and created a fly-through video using the Matinee system within UE4, which was then rendered out as a PNG image sequence to be compiled in Adobe After Effects and rendered out as a H.264 compression 1080P video.

Overall I think that the process we used to complete this project was quite effective and streamline. If I were to pick one area that I think needed to be improved it would be the preproduction process. At this stage of my studies it is an area that can fall by the wayside a little I think, everyone is so keen to start making cool stuff that they forget to plan correctly. Our preproduction was a little lacking, we got an asset list and task allocations that all changed over the course of the project as we didn’t take the time to be as thorough as we should have been.

With that said, I believe that the actual production phase of our project was pretty good on the most part. There were some minor issues with scaling but as we assembled a dummy scene in 3DS Max that was easily overcome. I found it really useful when assembling our scene that I created a dummy scene first. I took all of the assets that everyone made, made sure they were the right size and in the right positions and grouped the entire thing together and exported as one object that I could put into unreal. It wasn’t textured or anything, it was just a guide so that when I then imported the actual assets into unreal all I had to do was place them in the same spot that they were on the dummy object.

Our first pass at lighting and setting up the Matinee was not perfect, however after a very thorough feedback session it was revised and the second pass was much cleaner, more interesting and much more atmospheric than our first attempt.

So, all in all, I think we had a quite successful production process that we followed. There were a few kinks that needed ironing out but as a whole I think we all learned a lot on how it could be done better next time.

As always,

Thank you and Till next time,

James Day – 1002467

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s